Sunday, May 25

Free Will

In a recent post Kim, Crabby, Sister Staceypatrick and Ice Queen were talking about children, and what constitutes over protectiveness. Actually they were talking about a story about a police officer chastising a mother who left her 12 year old daughter alone on the street to park her car.
Some believe that the officers actions were a little over the top, and others believe he had a good reason to address the mother regarding her actions.
Although I'm not sure what exactly the cop said to the woman, in my personal opinion he had every right to admonish her for leaving a young child alone and un-supervised in post Holly Jones Toronto. I would feel the same way in pre-Holly Jones Toronto, but with the attrocity so recent, one would hope the mother would be a little more safety conscious.
My parents have always been protective of my brothers and I. My mother still insists that I phone her whenever I make the drive from Oshawa to Niagara Falls or Ottawa. She worries about me when I'm far from her. Sometimes I think she's silly, but I always appreciate the sentiment. I'm sure I'll feel the same way about my kids.
But what kind of behaviour towards children constitutes over protectiveness, or a violation of their free will? What impact will this have on the kids in later life? Will they grow up sheltered and unable to deal with "the real world" or will people call them sissies?
Kim was mentioning how she limits her kids time on the computer, doesn't allow them to watch excessive amounts of television, and restricts their access to video games. This may seem harsh, but in her defense, she did mention her children are both under 13 years old.
I for one believe she is making some great parenting choices. I was talking to my own mother about the differences between generations and she made a great point. Kids today don't seem to be nearly as creative as past generations. When my mother was a child, and even when I was a child, to an extent, we relied much more on imagination. Kids these days have everything made for them. If they want some sort of base for thier army toys they can just go a buy a play set, there are Mobile villages, all the Lego comes in a kit with specific instructions, and kids are spending more time on the internet and playing video games.
When I was a child, if I wanted some sort of accessory for my action figures I would have to use my imagination, and build it. When I played with pro-wrestling toys I made a wrestling ring out of a cardboard box, some pencils and string or elastics. I drew the WWF symbol in the middle of the ring, I made announcer tables out of card board and toothpicks. Now kids can buy little folding chairs, wrestling championship belts, garbage cans, wrestling rings, and even microphones for the announcers.
I'm sure there are plenty of kids out there whose parents can't afford, or won't buy all these accessories, forcing the children to be creative and imaginitive. But there are probably many other parents who just provide them with the toys so they won't have to clean up the mess a creative child makes.
I've also noticed children who don't seem to have any restrictions or barriers in their lives. These children are usually the ones making the bad choices. Once a person reaches a certain age they believe they're old enough to make decisions on their own, they're usually always wrong.
I've seen young kids, between 10 and 14 smoking cigarettes outside of Malls, Elementary Schools, and High Schools. I'm not sure if this is a result of bad parenting, or peer pressure.
Global recently did a story called Tweens (I'm too lazy to find a link). From what I could gather from the commercials, the story was about how quickly children seem to be growing up, and how sex appeal in the music and television industry seems to affect their attitudes and dress.
My roommate has pointed this kind of thing out to me several times. Although his method has been more along the lines of turning his head to stare at a scantilly clad female then shouting out; "Aw Jesus! How does an eleven-teen year old look so hot? That is so wrong!". We've taken to calling these young girls 'prosti-tots'. I'm surprised at the amount of skin kids are showing today, and how most children at the age 11 have had more girlfriends than I have had at age 24. Although in my own defence I had an ugly class in highschool.
I'm going to cut this short by saying; As this trend continues to grow, I fear for the future of decent toys, video games, and even global leadership.
I hope there are some comments on this from the readers or their offspring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home