Wednesday, March 5

Life in a Bubble...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just shut our eyes and all the problems of the world would just fade away? If only we could all simply ignore world issues and live our lives in a peaceful, unbreakable bubble of ignorance.

There is so much going on in the world today. There always has been, and I suspect there always will be. I wish I could remember a time when issues weren't beamed to me directly through satellite television. I wish I could exist in a time when the events taking place half a globe away, didn't affect me what-so-ever.

It's hard to believe that at one time people were more concerned about crops and harvests, or hostile invaders on horseback, rather than stock options, the price of oil, and the final season of Friends.

Any attempt I make to shut out the events taking place throughout the world is ultimately unsuccessful. And whenever I make an attempt to do so, I feel a pang of guilt. It's as though I'm breaking some sort of rule of the educated or something. Like I'm defiling my degree, or betraying all those current events teachers I've had.

So I continue to read the news day after day, and I continue to blog, and comment about an impending invasion of Iraq. I continue to worry about corrupt governments, and laws which only benefit the wealthy or powerful. And finally I come to the conclusion that it's always been this way, and it will continue to be this way forever.

History truly does repeat itself, it's not always an exact Xerox copy, but deep down, nothing changes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home