Wednesday, February 19

Superheros...

The best part of the Daredevil movie was the trailers for the Hulk and X-Men 2. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Daredevil movie, and apart from Green Lantern Daredevil is my favourite comic book superhero. But this film just didn't do it for me. I really liked the dark Batman-esque atmosphere. I'm glad they didn't lighten it up for the mainstream kiddy audience like they did with Spider-man. The costume / character design for Daredevil and his enemy Bullseye was excellent. I have to say that this is the only superhero film where the costumes have actually out done the comic book designs themselves. Unfortunately Elektra's costume doesn't fall into this category, maybe it's just me, but I miss the classic skimpy red outfit with the bandanna. Also, casting for this film was mediocre at best. Jon Favereau was great as Foggy Nelson, and Colin Farrel did a good job as Bullseye. But Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck just didn't have the Elektra / Matt Murdock chemistry going. The looks were all wrong too. Murdock is a fair haired light featured individual, while Elektra is that classic exotic Greek goddess looking kind of girl. The total opposites of the actors chosen for the roles. Michael C Duncan did a good job as the King Pin, and the cameos were pretty funny as well. Stan Lee, Kevin Smith and I think Frank Miller all made appearances. Another issue I had with the movie was the lack of character developement and shoddy special effects. Oh, and the fighting was crap too. I'm not sure why the filmmakers even included half of the characters in the film. Foggy, a pivotal character in the comics, Matt's sense of economic reason, was a bit player, the King Pin, who is as of late, Daredevils largest enemy had a minor role. We didn't get to explore Elektras past, or see what makes King Pin tick. The writers botched the origins sequence thus detracting from Daredevil's selfless and fearless nature, and they totally missed the boat when it came to describing his superhuman senses. There is so much more to talk about, but I won't bother. See it for yourself and tell me what you think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home