Thursday, January 30

Office Talk...

I find that we don't really talk around the water cooler where I work. It's usually around the printer. I'm not sure why this is, maybe there are too many coffee drinkers here.

A few summers ago the office gossip revolved around topics like Survivor and Big Brother, now I find it's taken a much more sombre tone. Today I found myself discussing a possible, if not probable, War in Iraq. Normally I save issues like this for the Blog. I find I can offend anyone I want with my left wing view points without fear of reprisal, when in a "comments" section. However, today was different. One of my co-workers was making a comment about working for Saddam as an alternative to being an Ontario Civil Servant. I think he was referring to the amount of "abuse" we as Government workers take.

Personally, I enjoy my job. I don't take my work home with me. I don't mean that in a literal sense, I just mean that I leave my office problems in the office. I do however like to bring office events home with me. I enjoy telling my girlfriend about the funny things that happen, or the outrageous staffing problems, etc. etc.

But this isn't really about the abuse a Government worker has to deal with, or not deal with. This is about the gloomy atmosphere which is a direct result of the current events taking place in the Middle East.

It's truly amazing how people react to media stimulus. How vapid conversations about reality TV turns into dour brooding dialogue about chemical warfare. I'm also astonished at how no one seemed to mention the extent of Canada's involvement. Rather they just prattled on about whether the U.S. should be waiting so long to invade. I did my best to hold my tongue and not begin some sort of anti-war related rant, but I ended up breaking my silence by calling Bush a moron and stating that you cannot achieve peace through war.

I guess most of the people agreed with me, or didn't want to get into an arguement because they mostly just nodded their heads and said "yeah that's true". But after hearing their comments, and after listening to them speak, I find myself wondering if there is any way to avoid a war in Iraq. Maybe the Bush Administration is right, maybe they've explored all the possible avenues that military action would open. I'm just not sure any more. Nonetheless; I will not back down on my stance that War will not solve the problems in Iraq, Israel, North Korea, or any other area of the globe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home